Metabolic Syndrome a major risk for having a heart attack or a stroke
BUT IT IS REVERSABLE!
- It is a cluster/group of health risk factors.
- It increases the risk of developing type 2 Diabetes, Heart attack or Stroke.
- It can increase the risk to develop breast cancer, atrial fibrillation, psoriasis and more.
- It is a hidden medical condition, there is no pain or disability.
- Metabolic syndrome involves abnormalities in weight, blood sugar regulation, blood pressure regulation and blood lipids (Cholesterol family).
- Even though common (up to 1/3 of American adults), few people know that they have it.
How do you find out if you have it?
It is diagnosed if you have 3 or more out of the 5 main risk factors:
- Waist circumference (size) if greater than 40 inches (man) or 35 inches (woman)
- Blood pressure reading greater than 130/85 mm/Hg or known Hypertension.
- Fasting blood sugar greater than 100 mg/dL or known Type 2 Diabetes.
- Serum Triglycerides of greater than 150 mg/dL
- Serum HDL (high density lipoprotein) less than 40 mg/dL in men or 50mg/dL in women
How do you find out if you are at risk for having metabolic syndrome?
- If you are over 50.
- If you are female
- If you have a family history of diabetes or hypertension (High Blood Pressure).
- If you have
- Polycystic ovarian syndrome
- Sleep apnea
- Fatty Liver disease
If concerned see your primary care provider.
How do you treat it? Consider doing some or all of the following:
- Increasing your physical activity.
- Sleeping better,
- Eating more fruits and vegetables,
- Decreasing your stress.
- Coming into GMOS clinic, we treat Metabolic Syndrome daily.
Metabolic Syndrome is known to respond well to increased physical activity, lower carbohydrate diet and reduced daily calories. It can be reversed faster and more completely with interventions such as medically supervised weight loss, decreasing insulin resistance (prescription medication therapy), and controlling your blood pressure using medicine or behavioral intervention.